Is the property built during the 80s or early 90s? If yes, then you might need an asbestos building inspector as your property might contain some asbestos-containing materials.
Having an asbestos building inspector will help you identify asbestos’s presence and condition.
Facts You Need Know about Asbestos Building Inspector?
What is Asbestos Inspection?
An asbestos inspection is when an inspector checks the property for the (ACM) asbestos-containing material. One is defined as ACM if it contains greater than 1% asbestos.
A certified asbestos building inspector includes re-examining a property. This helps to identify the presence of the existing asbestos.
What Do Renovators and Property Owners Need to Know?
As a property owner, you must find out if you need planning for the proposed work.
Most home renovations and minor building projects don’t need council approval. Such projects include the replacement and demolition of different areas. These include the bathrooms, kitchens, ceilings, doors, windows, carports, and patios.
As stated, these types of works don’t need planning approval. If they involve removing more than 10m² of friable or bonded asbestos, a licensed asbestos building inspector is required to work.
Asbestos management comes with risks. We encourage renovators to engage a licensed asbestos removal contractor. This way, we can remove the asbestos from older buildings.
Where to Hire an Asbestos Building Inspector?
Effective Building & Consultancy has a team of certified asbestos building inspectors who can conduct all inspections and assessments of your property.
How Many Samples Need to Take and Analyse?
If all are ACM, then there is no need to need sampling. Yet, for a suspect material to be non-ACM, there is the least number of samples to collect and analyse.
An asbestos building inspector summarises the least number of samples for collection and analysis. A homogeneous material is uniform when properties such as color, age, texture.
Thermal System Insulation (TSI)
Thermal System Insulation includes ductwork, boiler, and pipe insulation. It also includes furnace gaskets and vermiculite.
- Three samples of each TSI homogeneous material
- One sample from patched TSI that is less than six sq ft.
- A sufficient sample for pipe fittings to determine if it has asbestos-containing material.
Surfacing material includes materials such as ceiling textures, troweled-on plasters, or spray-applied fireproofing.
- Three samples from homogeneous materials of 1000 sq ft.
- Five samples from homogeneous materials of greater than 1000 sq ft but less than 5000 sq ft.
- Seven samples from homogeneous materials of greater than 5000 sq ft.
Miscellaneous Material and Nonfriable Suspect ACM
Miscellaneous materials include all materials that aren’t TSI or surfacing materials. Such samples are ceiling tile, linoleum, or floor tile.
- For each homogeneous material, some samples need to collect and analyse to determine if it is ACM
- No need to collect samples from homogeneous materials that are non-ACM (rubber or fiberglass)
What about Assessment?
After the asbestos building inspector working on the condition of ACM, we will provide a written report to the person using these categories:
- Defaced thermal system insulation
- Damaged friable surfacing material
- Mutilated friable miscellaneous material
- Asbestos-containing material with damage potential
- Asbestos-containing material with significant damage potential
- Any remaining friable or friable suspect asbestos-containing material
What Must Be Included in an Asbestos Inspection Report?
The person who hires the asbestos building inspector will receive the written report. This should include the following information:
- The location of each homogeneous material that contains asbestos
- The condition of each homogeneous material that contains asbestos
- The asbestos inspector’s signature and date signed.
- The asbestos inspector’s certification number
Final Thoughts about Asbestos Building Inspector
You now know the testing and measures we do during asbestos building inspector. This assures you how strict we are in terms of analysing each material and removing them if necessary.