Why your property needs an owner-builder defects report
Having completed any renovation, extension, or addition is a major accomplishment for any owner-builder. However, before putting your property for sale, it’s important to know your legal responsibilities.
Under Section 137B of the Building Act, you must provide an owner builder defects report prior to the sale of your property within 6.5 years of completing any building work. For any building work that exceeds a value of $16,000, owners are also required to have Builders Warranty Insurance. Failure to comply will incur heavy penalties of up to $12,000. The 137B report is also crucial if you want to make use of the Owner Builders Warranty Insurance, which covers any major defects that appear within the first 6 years after completion.
The owner builder defect report must be attached to your Section 32 documentation. Without this report, potential purchasers can pull out of the sale agreement without incurring penalties. A professional builder inspection followed by a defects report helps promote buyer confidence and gives both buyer and seller peace of mind. So before selling an owner builder house, make sure to have a comprehensive defects report.
Our comprehensive owner builder defects report covers
A comprehensive owner builder defects report can only be done by a professional inspector. At Effective Building & Consultancy, our professional inspectors will provide you with a full detailed report of your home’s condition. You will get a clear picture of the structural integrity of the property – from the original build to all extensions and additions. We will also identify the potential defects or problems that exist inside and outside of your home.
Effective Building & Consultancy will conduct a thorough inspection of your home. After which, we will provide you with the 137b owner builder defects report. This will include:
1. Images of defects needing attention
2. Description of the defects and their probable impact
3. Summary to emphasise the most important issues
4. An HTML and/or PDF version
When to get an owner builder defect report
A defect inspection report is mandatory for owner builders who have completed any construction work on their own property. This includes all renovations, additions, extensions, and other work that has increased the value of your home. You are also considered an owner builder if the building permit is registered under your own name, even if you hire subcontractors to do the building work for you.
An owner builder defects report is then required if you intend to sell your home within 6.5 years of completing any building work. Owner builder work may involve:
- Kitchen, bathroom, laundry, or full house renovations
- Swimming pool, spa, deck, verandah, terraces or pergola installations
- Landscaping, tiling, or driveway paving work
- Carport, garage, shed, or other extensions/additions
- Retaining walls, fences, or pool barriers
- Minor refurbishments within and outside of your home
Having a professional building inspection ensures that all areas of your home will be thoroughly examined to find defects, both major and minor. These defects can be anything from an incorrectly installed window to structural damage that could pose a safety hazard. Full disclosure of any and all defects is important because as the owner builder, you are ultimately responsible for ensuring that your home is safe and meets all building code requirements.
Why work with experts from Effective Building & Consultancy
Effective Building & Consultancy is a leading provider of building inspection services. With over 20 years of experience in the industry, we know how to provide high-quality services that cater to the specific needs of our customers. We have a team of professional and experienced building inspectors who are fully qualified to carry out comprehensive inspections of both new and existing homes.
If you are an owner builder planning to sell your home, we offer pre-sale building inspection services that will help you identify and rectify any defects before putting your home on the market. This way, you can avoid any potential problems that could arise during the sale. Moreover, we can help you avoid heavy penalties associated with non-compliance on building rules and regulations.
When you choose to work with us, you can be sure to receive a detailed and accurate report that highlights any potential defects or issues that need to be addressed. We understand the importance of timely and effective communication, so we will make the experience as stress-free as possible for you.
The following are some reasons why Effective Building & Consultancy remains the top choice for builder reports:
1. Structural engineer experts
2. Residential, commercial & industrial properties
3. Easy to understand reports in 48 hours of your call
4. Detailed information and photographs of defects
5. Identification of incomplete works and second-hand materials
6. Personalised advice and analysis for remedial works
Faults or defects we report on in your building works
Defects refer to any building component which does not meet the Australian Standard Building Code. This can be anything from a poorly constructed door frame to a whole section of the wall that was not built to code.
Some of the more common defects we see in building works are:
- Incomplete or lacking workmanship quality. This can be things like poor joinery, grout lines not being level, finishes not being flush and straight or nails that haven’t been pounded all the way in.
- Materials that are not properly designed. This can be anything from using the wrong type of screws or nails for a particular job or using inferior materials that are not up to the task.
- Building code breaches. These are usually more serious issues that can compromise the safety of the building, such as electrical wiring that has not been done to code or structural issues that jeopardise the stability of the entire property.
Effective Building & Consultancy has the experience and expertise to properly conduct an owner builder defects report and identify any potential issues that could cause problems down the road. Don’t take chances with your investment. Contact us today!
Get a comprehensive owners building defects report today
Avoid heavy penalties and protect the sale value of your home. Put your trust in Effective Building & Consultancy and we will create a comprehensive owner builder defects report for you.
Call us today to book an appointment!